Monday, September 22, 2008

A Trip to Kranji War Memorial

My son and I went to Kranji War Memorial on the 14 September 2008. That was my first time there. I was there in the morning at about 8am. The air was refreshing. It is a good place to go to.

Having forgotten to bring along my digital camera, I could only take the pictures with my handphone, so the pictures may not be very clear.

This is where the first and second president of Singapore lies.

The one above is Yusof Ishak. He was the first president of Singapore from 1965 to 1970. Yusof Ishak died in 1970 at the age of 60. You can still see the picture of his face on the notes used in Singapore.

The one below is Benjamin Henry Sheares. He was the second president of Singapore from 1971 to 1981. He was then 74. The Sheares Bridge was named after him.



As we entered the Kranji War Cemetery, we can see rows and rows of tombstones. However, it was not frightening at all. Instead, I felt very peaceful there. There are no bodies buried under the ground, but the tombstones were there to remind us of the number of deaths caused by the war.



As we walked up the aisle, we saw the following,


Behind this, are walls and walls of names. Names of the people who had died in the war. (I just realised that I didn't take photographs of those walls.)


They even keep a register of those who had passed away in the war.


My son, who wants to be a soldier, wants to fight for his country. I am proud of him. But, I wouldn't want to see a war start just so that he can fight to protect his country. In a war, many people die and their families suffered. Let peace goes on forever.

No comments: